Wednesday 28 April 2010

Parlez-vous francais?

Did you know that I used to speak French? I studied it at school and university and even spent some time in France as an English language assistant in a high school. Since coming to Japan though, I have barely spoken a word of French. My French now is not just rusty, it has completely seized up!

But help is at hand! I had heard of a weekly French-speaking tea-and-cake session at a nearby coffee shop and last Thursday I plucked up the courage to go along. I already knew 2 out of the 3 people who were there, which made it both easier and more embarrassing... Everyone was very encouraging though, and I really enjoyed it. I could understand most of what was said but my attempts to speak were really quite pathetic: starting sentences and then trailing off into face-pulling and gesturing, as the others valiantly tried to supply the missing words.

There's no meeting tomorrow as it's a public holiday, which gives me another week to dig out my old dictionary, think in advance of what I'd like to say, and continue my new habit of talking to myself in French while alone in the car!

*********************

On a completely unrelated note, have you entered the giveaway yet? There's still time!

Someone will win $20 to spend in my shop, so just leave a comment on the post below this one.

And to respond to some of the comments already received (thank you!), yes the giveaway is open to everyone; I'm sure the pincushion will arrive soon and I blame that Icelandic volcano; and yes sis, if you'd like to send me a present I won't argue :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment